Friday, July 11, 2008

It may all go downhill from here...

So last night my MIL and I hit Southampton Quilts to look for a beige grout color for my brother's quilt and more paper templates. She also took me to the Apollo Grill for dinner. Waaay more money than I would have spent for dinner but the food was great, the atmosphere was so tacky it was cute and she was paying. What's not to love?

Anyways, I did find a great beige, but don't have a picture since I'm at work (shhh!), but trust me it's pretty. So I figured out yesterday I need 630 (!) hexagons of this color, so I started cutting them out. Well, I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to count the squares I had cut out of the other colors just to make sure I had enough. I mean, I was pretty sure I did, I am pretty anal about these things. But I did change the size I was making half way through the planning stage and had to redo the math pretty quickly, so I just wanted to check things out. Thank God I did now and not when everything was almost finished since I realized I was 3 red squares short. 3! Out of 210! So close and yet so far.

I studied the pattern for a while to see if I could fudge it somewhere, but as anyone who knows me knows, I really am not a fudger. Just goes against my grain. Then I almost went over to my MIL's house to see if there was anymore. I'm pretty sure there wasn't, but maybe...but then I realized it was 10:00 PM and she might not appreciate me skulking down in her fabric room (yes, it has it's own little room) when she was probably asleep. So guess what Toby and I will be doing on "date" night tonight after we drop Marley off at my mom's? Yep, stash diving to find 9 more inches of red fabric.

The only good news in all of this is that of all the colors in the quilt, I'm least committed to the red. I like it ok, and it was free, but it's not really perfect. I know my MIL doesn't really like it. And I've only completed 1 flower so I could probably just use another color if I had to. But what a pain in the neck...

1 comment:

  1. Someday I am going to commission a quilt from you, a small one, but it's going to be with the proviso that you HAVE TO fudge.

    ReplyDelete