Friday, August 22, 2008

Talk like a pirate - with gas

So Marley has always had this little accent when she talks. I have no idea why, and we are so used to it we hardly notice it anymore. I think it's gotten better, but there are a few sounds she still has trouble with, mostly her "R"s. For instance, most people think she's saying Molly when she says her name is Marley. (As an interesting aside, when Marley was born Toby was attending Ohio State, and there were a few Asian students in his program. They really had trouble with "Marley", I guess for them the R and L sounds were pretty interchangeable. I felt kind of bad, since they really tried hard to pronounce it).

Anyways, we try to work on the sounds when they come up in conversation and the other day in the car we were working on her R's. I was saying "AAARRR - like a pirate" and she was working on it. Of course when I realized what word we were using for this little exercise, I turned to Toby and asked, "how bad is it that we're practicing her Rs on the word FART?” Apparently no bodily function is off limits when it comes to teaching your children how to talk better.

Happily a day or so later I got a call from Marley..."listen Mommy, AAAAARRRRRRRR". Once I figured out what she was saying I was pretty proud. Apparently using pirates with gas as a teaching tool works quite well.

I crafting news…one quilt is pretty much done. I just have to baste down the points on the 2 short sides so they’re straight. Here it is before I added the partial rows, modeling courtesy of Sunny the cat (who was actually quite annoyed with me when I made him get off).




As for the other one, I’m thinking that if my brother ever gets on the ball and actually proposes, this would make a much better wedding shower gift than Christmas. So I’m not going to rush too hard to finish it (I might be a little “quilted out” for now). AND I’m actually knitting again – I’m on the gusset of the second Franklin sock that’s been languishing in my knitting bag forever. I’m also almost done with a pumpkin hat I need by September 4th – plenty of time. I actually made it to Webs for drop in last week, which was great. It’s been too long since I’ve been there.

PS – I’m doing pretty good on my “craft no-buy”. I did have to buy a new pair of DPN’s for the pumpkin hat, since I couldn’t find mine. But with a coupon there were $2.76 at AC Moore. I think the house fund can manage it…speaking of which, only 1 more week to pay for day care!! Yeah!!

2 comments: